Tribes Omega

Comments

• As it turns out, Elec is a dick.
  • Oddly enough, though, he is right.
  • Ad hominem remarks tend to weaken your viewpoint, not mine, which is factually grounded.

Designing games seems to be the dream of a disproportionate number of geeky male children. It's not entirely unexpected, after all, if playing games is fun, shouldn't making games be fun too? Of course, making games is almost nothing like playing them -- it's a lot of work, and it requires extreme proficiency in logic, advanced mathematics, organization, the programming language of your choice, and economics/psychology (so you can make reasonable analysis of your gameplay mechanics so the game is both fun and balanced). That sort of proficiency is rare among college graduates, and is present in statistically insignificant qualities in the population that has no college education.

There are schools that offer coursework in "game design" or "game programming", but in every instance I have seen, and any person I've talked to that's been through such a program, these coursework packages are inadequate for doing anything even slightly groundbreaking or new. Instead of teaching the core that I describe above, it's instruction and tutorial work on the fad-engine-of-the-year. Most of the students aren't cut for a proper computer science program, and it shows in their abilities before and after such "game design/programming" coursework.

Lets chat about the 3 programmers listed in the first post: Shinobi, tricon2elf, and ninN. I haven't seen or heard of any programming experience from Shinobi nor ninN. I have had a chat with tricon2elf when he/she was encountering difficulties implementing a function to perform RC4 encryption for a T2 chat cipher script. RC4 is about 15 lines of pseudocode (check Wikipedia), and is one of the simplest modern ciphers ever created. If you have difficulties implementing RC4 (which a proficient programmer should be able to do in 2 minutes, tops, including testing), you're not ready to write a game.

So, my assessment is realistic. Even people like Phantom, who have elementary knowledge of logic, and the programming language of choice don't have the proficiency to build an entire game. Lets look at some of the basics you need for a 3D multiplayer FPS:
    1. Working knowledge of the mathematics used for transformation of objects in 3D. This is something typically covered in a second-year college mathematics course. Without this, you can't implement any sort of movement/rotation/scaling of objects, which is obviously essential for a 3D game.
    2. Proficiency in your selected programming language. If you're using Torque, you better know C++ upward and downward. You can't write Hamlet without knowing English up and down in the same way.
    3. Organizational skills are essential. You need to manage other programmers (and yourself). You need to know your way around a version control system. You need to be able to produce plans for what is being done in development. You need to follow some sort of software engineering model.
    4. You'll need to be proficient in network protocol design. Connections these days aren't as limited as the dialup modems in common use 10 years ago, but if you want your game to be usable over an Internet connection, you need to be very careful about designing your game's internal engine model such that you only transfer the details you need in as compact of a form as you possibly can. Just throwing data compression at the problem won't fix a bad design here.
    5. You need to be able to work on a large codebase that is bigger than any one person can understand. Most people don't have the brain capacity to remember the working detail of an entire codebase, especially if the codebase isn't modularized or split along reasonable boundaries. If you've never written a medium or large project (say over 40,000 lines), the introduction of reasonable separations won't come magically.

If you don't have them, you don't have a chance.

All I see from these screen shots is a demo level in Torque, presumably default, and a few dts files copied straight from Tribes 2. Those copied dts files will be great when the rights owners come knocking with a cease and desist.
  • You're a dick.

Elect is right, don't waste your time.
  • This thread is finally going somewhere

:clap:
  • You're a dick.

Stop putting people down, and get over your fascination with dicks.
  • This thread is finally going somewhere

:clap:
    this
  • Im not working on this game TGE sucks.(Just to let you know im a dude)
  • Im not working on this game TGE sucks.(Just to let you know im a dude)

Most people I "know" on T2 are masculine, except Hotchik of course, or Castiger..

Also, I hope you're omitting the A for a reason..
  • We're not sure about cast right now...
  • Ad hominem
    I dont understand Latin. :(

/me goes to wikipedia.

Castiger is a bi. :lol:
  • Thyth, that was a very nice read, I do understand what you mean, I understand the amount of work that we need to complete this project but still, do we have no right to try? Well I guess your right, you are one of the most known people on T2 and even helped on TN but then you should know that we have a right to try, did I say this would be easy? No (Well technically I did but I didnt mean it in that context) Great for your comment though and thanks alot
  • Even people like Phantom, who have elementary knowledge of logic...

Win.
  • Elec wins the internet once again
  • http://www.udk.com/

Ill just leave this here...
  • This guy seems to like talking to himself. EDIT: lol, not emp, some noob and the posts were deleted.
  • This guy seems to like talking to himself

Yea.. call to the Funny House anyone?
  • DX get on xfire

Can't, it's acting funny at the time. (facking crappily built GPU)
    Had to post from my PS3.

EmperorsChamp: 8 gig O' RAM for content development (AHHH!)
    My computer meets all the specs for that. At least if my GPU didn't malfunction..
    Slash that, just noticed it wants Wind0ws Vista (64 bit)
  • Elec isnt a bad guy, but TN is making his head swell up.

Yeah, id know.
  • This guy seems to like talking to himself
    LOL ROFL LMAO! :lol:
  • It wasnt really that funny...
  • Elec isnt a bad guy, but TN is making his head swell up.

Yeah, id know.
    Been spying on his e-peen lately? :rolleyes:
  • lol Thyth means good
  • Yes, tribesnext is above and beyond what an average individual would do for a small community like this.
  • I wouldnt call this community that small...
  • Count those active. You shouldn't top 100.
  • Elec wins the internet once again
    /me agrees.
  • Been spying on his e-peen lately? :rolleyes:
    :lol:

Its because mines bigger.
  • OK, the inventory is 20% done, once finished and compiled, you will finally get to play Omega. The only things that will be present in the demo will be:

Gametype: D.Deathmacth
    Armors: Scout
    Skins: Starwolf (possibly bloodeagle)
    Maps: Snow and Desert
    Weapons: OmegaCannon, Spinfusor, Chaingun (possibly fusion mortar)
    GUI: Health and Energy bars working, textbox working (possibly Timer and Compass)

and thanks again to those who contributed